$ in source file names

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: $ in source file names
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:49:04 -0600

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> But now think of an object file containing an odd character, such as a
> blank, a quote, a dollar sign, etc.  We *should* still work in this
> case, so we must make sure to not eval $concat_cmds again.
>
> So we should probably use:
>
> eval concat_cmds=\"\$concat_cmds~$reload_cmds ...\"
>                    ^

Alexandre:

 I attempted to build a test case which uses a file with a $ in
the name.  Taking tagdemo and changing main.cpp to m$in.cpp breaks
Automake.  The problem is that even though
progname_SOURCES = 'm$in.cpp'
is in Makefile.am, am_progname_OBJECTS is empty.

Is this not supported by Automake, or is it a bug?
If Automake doesn't support $ in source file names, then
I would suggest that it isn't an important requirement for Libtool.

Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center
TEL: (630)789-0003 x. 238
FAX: (630)789-0127
email:  address@hidden