Re: 43-conditionals-as-hashes.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 43-conditionals-as-hashes.patch
Date: 20 Feb 2001 13:21:28 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> Ideally I'd say we need objects for variables, and have a
Akim> uniformized handling of conditionalized/unconditinal variables.

This patch needed a lot less defense than you posted -- the only
reason conditionals were implemented in that ugly way was Perl 4
compatibility.

I agree the new setup is much better.  For one thing it will
eventually let us fix the problems involving variables which are both
conditionally and unconditionally defined (including conditional use
of `+=').

Akim>   * automake.in (&conditional_dump): New.
Akim>   (&check_ambiguous_conditional, &variable_defined)
Akim>   (&variable_conditions_sub, &variable_value_as_list_worker)
Akim>   (&define_variable, read_am_file, &read_main_am_file): Be sure to
Akim>   handle `$conditional{$vars}' as a hash instead of a plain string.

Ok.

Tom