Re: Testsuite fails

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Testsuite fails
Date: 20 Feb 2001 20:19:50 -0700

>> Ideally we'd have some way to tell autoconf, "if this package can
>> be cross-compiled, then check for a cross `strip' as well".  Maybe
>> there's an ugly way to do this.

Akim> But I think your request is precisely AC_CHECK_TOOL.  What
Akim> exactly do you mean?

Suppose I have AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE call AC_CHECK_TOOL.  Then every
package needs config.{guess,sub}.  (Or at least that was true in the
past.)

The idea is something like:

* the user declares a package suitable for cross compilation:
     AC_CAN_CROSS_COMPILE

* AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE conditionalizes on this:

    AC_IF_CROSS([AC_CHECK_TOOL([STRIP],[strip])])

Akim> Also, my number one grief against the test suite is that it is
Akim> classified by alphabetical order, which looks cute, but is a
Akim> stupid an order as the random order.  We need to order them from
Akim> the ``innermost tests'' to the outermost, so that it gives us
Akim> some good intuition of *where* it fails, and what failures are
Akim> actually the same only one.

That would be nice, but the automake tests are really just a bunch of
regression tests.  Mostly they test for fairly specific bugs.  This
isn't a great quality to have in a test suite.

If someone wants to reorder them, that's fine, I guess.  I don't want
to do it since it seems like a lot of work for no particular reason.
One problem with reordering is deciding where to put a new test.

Tom