Re: 47-factored-mans.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 47-factored-mans.patch
Date: 21 Feb 2001 15:43:47 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> -install-man: $(MANS)
Akim> -       @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
Akim> -       $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) install-man1

I'm concerned about this.

Before this change, `install-man' would ensure that the man pages were
rebuilt.  After this change, it doesn't.

Akim> This patch raises a question I asked myself several times:
Akim> uniq'ing the dependencies.  I'm pulled between the idea that it
Akim> might cover serious bugs, and on the other hand that we are
Akim> looking for ways to make our lifes easier.

Sometimes it is hard to work out all the logic perfectly.  And
sometimes you don't really want to, since it might violate modularity
in your program.  I'm inclined to uniq them on this theory.

I'm sure that's lazy of me though.

Akim> In the present case, if, in addition to sorting, we uniq the
Akim> dependencies, them we don't even need the evil &depend call to
Akim> PHONY install-man and uninstall-man: just add
Akim> .PHONY: install-man uninstall-man
Akim> in mans.am, et voila`!

I think uniqing is fine in this case.
I don't see the &depend call as all that evil, but I do see what
you're getting at.

Akim> .PHONY:? install-man uninstall-man

I prefer to avoid adding even more syntax.

Tom