Re: 52-factored-install.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 52-factored-install.patch
Date: 21 Feb 2001 16:06:19 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> This patch applies the same transformation, factoring, to
Akim> install-data, install-exec and uninstall.

I haven't read this patch yet but I wanted to respond to some comments
before I did.

Akim> Below are first presented the Makefiles of Automake.  There is
Akim> obviously a problem, which I do not solve in this already too
Akim> long patch, but will address later: what do with empty targets.

Akim> At this stage the answer is obvious: install-exec too must be
Akim> included in the factored dependencies, but it is only delaying
Akim> the issue as we will have the same with install invoking
Akim> install-exec, or outer Makefiles invoking it.

Targets which are presented to the user must be defined regardless of
whether they have any effect.  So for instance `install-exec' must
always exist.

Writing a document describing what we produce is on the to-do list.
It is everything the GNU standards want, but there is more that we
provide that they do not (eg, install-man).

Akim> Also, I have not really understood why the -hooks had to be run
Akim> explicitly by invoking make again instead of just listing them
Akim> as dependencies.

If it is a dependency then it won't work properly with a parallel
make.  That's because the -hook for must be run after all the other
rules.

Akim> OTOH, maybe the order doesn't mean anything at all, since I seem
Akim> to have understood that in parallel makes
Akim>   foo: bar baz
Akim> means bar and baz can be performed concurrently.

Anyone who relies on the ordering has a broken Makefile.  If order
matters you must either have an explicit dependency or you must
reinvoke make.  If your patch changes only dependency orderings then
it will only affect Makefiles which are already buggy.

Tom