Re: 52-factored-install.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 52-factored-install.patch
Date: 23 Feb 2001 11:09:49 -0700

>> If it is a dependency then it won't work properly with a parallel
>> make.  That's because the -hook for must be run after all the other
>> rules.

Akim> Why don't we use dependencies to say that -hook must be run
Akim> last, instead of using the actions to run them last?  Not that
Akim> it matters, it's just pure curiosity.  And `easier to implement'
Akim> is definitely an excellent reason!  Any advantage in one over
Akim> the other?  Don't we avoid forking another make which has to
Akim> load Makefile again? (if we use the dependencies to force the
Akim> order I mean).

Implementing it this way was easier for two reasons:

1. Pushing the hook out to the dependencies isn't easy in terms of
automake's implementation.  That is, our Perl code is ugly, so our
Makefile code ends up ugly

2. Pushing the hook out means that if the user has a -local as well as
a -hook then we have to rewrite the -local target to add a new
dependency.  We've never rewritten user targets, so this is a
major(-ish) change to contemplate.

Tom