subdirs.am and $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS)

From: akim
Subject: subdirs.am and $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:54:07 +0100

(Hm, I think I killed my message instead of sending it :(
Sorry if multiple copies).

I wonder why we have a hard coded list list this in subdirs.am:

.PHONY: all-recursive install-data-recursive install-exec-recursive \
installdirs-recursive install-recursive uninstall-recursive @INSTALLINFO@ \
check-recursive installcheck-recursive info-recursive dvi-recursive

all-recursive install-data-recursive install-exec-recursive \
installdirs-recursive install-recursive uninstall-recursive @INSTALLINFO@ \
check-recursive installcheck-recursive info-recursive dvi-recursive:
        @set fnord $(MAKEFLAGS); amf=$$2; \
        dot_seen=no; \
        target=`echo $@ | sed s/-recursive//`; \
        list='$(SUBDIRS)'; for subdir in $$list; do \
          echo "Making $$target in $$subdir"; \
etc.

instead of

RECURSIVE_TARGETS = all-recursive install-data-recursive install-exec-recursive
\
installdirs-recursive install-recursive uninstall-recursive @INSTALLINFO@ \
check-recursive installcheck-recursive info-recursive dvi-recursive

.PHONY: $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS)

$(RECURSIVE_TARGETS):
        @set fnord $(MAKEFLAGS); amf=$$2; \
        dot_seen=no; \
        target=`echo $@ | sed s/-recursive//`; \
        list='$(SUBDIRS)'; for subdir in $$list; do \
          echo "Making $$target in $$subdir"; \
etc.

Not only to I find this more pleasant, but most importantly it's a win
for Automake (we can have more modular *.am files which register their
own recursive targets), and it's a win for users who can += on
RECURSIVE_TARGETS.

I might have missed something obvious, please no flame :)