Re: 52-factored-install.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 52-factored-install.patch
Date: 24 Feb 2001 10:29:14 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> Here is the updated version of the patch.

This patch still has a problem.  See below.

Akim> Note that there is a new side effect to my patch: the
Akim> (un)?install-man targets appeared (since you said they were
Akim> required) in Automake.

I misspoke.  I don't think these targets aren't required.  Under
--cygnus mode, `install-info' is required, but that is different.

Akim> -     if (defined $exec_dir_p{$X} ? $exec_dir_p{$X} : ($X =~ /exec/))

You pushed half of this test out into the *.am files.  That's fine.
But the second half of this test is important, and I don't understand
how it is handled in the revised code.

One example of how the new code can fail is a system-dependent header
file install:

    inclexecdir = $(exec_prefix)/include   ## Just an example!
    inclexec_HEADERS = my-config.h

With the new code the header will be installed by `install-data'.
However, that is wrong.  `install-exec' ought to install this header.

Tom