Re: Question marks in Makefile.in

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Question marks in Makefile.in
Date: 25 Feb 2001 18:44:48 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == akim  <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> I will look at this tomorrow and fix it.  Without looking at the
Akim> code, I think I must have been somewhat too systematic Iin
Akim> inserting ?EXEC?, I don't think info page should depend on exec
Akim> vs. data.  Tom?  I'm not sure of myself, there are some rules
Akim> Tom is trying to teach me, but something escapes from my
Akim> understanding.

Here is how directory installation works:

* There are a bunch of directories defined by the GNU Standards.
  We separate these into two categories: system-specific, which are
  installed by `install-exec', and system-independent, which are
  installed by `install-data'.

* Users can define their own directories using variables whose names
  end in `dir'.  User variables which contain `exec' as a substring
  are installed by install-exec; others by install-data.

The above stuff should alreay be documented.  If not a patch would be
great, but a bug report would be ok too.

For a given primary we try to detect which directories are valid.

* A user-defined directory is valid for any primary

* The valid standard directories are chosen on a per-primary basis.
  Look for calls to &am_install_var to see what is valid for a given
  primary.

  Eg. for headers:

    my @r = &am_install_var ('-defaultdist', 'header', 'HEADERS', 'include',
                             'oldinclude', 'pkginclude',
                             'noinst', 'check');

  This means `includedir', `oldincludedir',  and `pkgincludedir' are
  valid.  Also `noinst' and `check' (which aren't directories) are
  valid.

Akim> I would really love to use %FOO% instead in Automake.  Tom, what
Akim> do you think?  This would make it possible for automake to check
Akim> what it outputs.

That would be fine.

Tom