Re: 67-bigger-handle-factored-dependencies.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 67-bigger-handle-factored-dependencies.patch
Date: 26 Feb 2001 10:14:05 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> What is the `dist-all' target used for?  I see it is collected in
> %dependencies.

It makes all the flavors of dists.

Mon Sep 23 00:04:48 1996  Tom Tromey  <address@hidden>

        * automake.in (initialize_global_constants): Define %dist,
        dist_header, dist_trailer.
        (handle_dist): Make dist-all target.

> Does it really make sense for us to also have `clean' hooks?  This
> seems pointless.

It seems, indeed.  But I'm driven by regularity.

> I think your patch adds this.

It does indeed.

> If you do that please update the documentation.

I'll stick this in TODO and address it once I'm sure that's what we
want.

> Akim> +    # FIXME: Why not be as liberal as we are with -local hooks?
>
> Sometimes there's no point.

Yep, but it means more case by case in the code, hence in the
documentation, hence the user has more to learn :)

> Akim> +    foreach ('install-exec', 'install-data')
>
> dist-hook could also be handled here.

I have not finished the dist family yet :(