Re: Question marks in Makefile.in

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Question marks in Makefile.in
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:00:43 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Akim!

> > ?EXEC?insexec-data-am: install-info-am
> > ?!EXEC?install-data-am: install-info-am

By the way, it will be nice to have a test that actually fails in absense
of insexec-data-am or install-data-am.

> Still, this bug can be easily detected by automake.  But @FOO@ bugs

Maybe it's not necessary to check the output since the user is highly
unlikely to use ?FOO? in Makefile.am. I understand it's an internal
mechanism for Automake, not exposed to users.

However, an optional check would be appropriate. It could be turned on in
the testsuite.

> are harder since we share @ with AC_SUBST.  I would really love to
> use %FOO% instead in Automake.  Tom, what do you think?  This would
> make it possible for automake to check what it outputs.

Are you suggesting AM_SUBST?

Regards,
Pavel Roskin