Re: `make dist' with srcdir != builddir

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: `make dist' with srcdir != builddir
Date: 27 Feb 2001 17:43:57 -0700

Tom> I think what we want is for the positioning of the .c file not to
Tom> matter for the developer, but for the file to end up in the
Tom> distribution made by `make dist'.

adl> The following is how I intended to fix this.  I'm not sure
adl> it's what you want.  Anyway the patch below won't apply since
adl> it predates Akim's sourcequake; I have yet to figure where the
adl> relevent passage has been moved :)

It is in distdir.am.

adl>    * automake.in (handle_dist_worker): When building the distdir,
adl>    copy files from the build directory in preference to the source
adl>    directory; that way the distribution is always built from the
adl>    latest version of generated files.

I'm leery of changing orderings like this.

I don't understand how the file can end up in both the source and
build trees.  That is the mystery.  I want to understand it before
implementing a change.

Tom