Re: Why does "make distclean" rerun autoconf?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Why does "make distclean" rerun autoconf?
Date: 04 Mar 2001 23:37:33 -0700

Mo> After running "make distclean" on a big project I found myself
Mo> quite miffed at the fact that it reran the whole configure process
Mo> (which takes a long time) before executing the distclean rule.

It should only do that if the configure.in -> configure rule is
triggered.

Mo> Does anyone else think that is a little silly?  I think this
Mo> problem still shows up in the CVS version of automake. Any idea
Mo> how to fix it?

It can't be fixed.

We use a rule that rebuilds Makefile if Makefile.in has changed.  GNU
make will try to build `Makefile', if such a target exists, before
running any other target, including `distclean'.  I don't think there
is a way around this.  We can't remove the rebuilding rule because it
is much too useful.

Tom