Re: yaccvpath.test

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: yaccvpath.test
Date: 05 Mar 2001 00:08:46 -0700

Pavel> I like you approach to do "what the user wants", I just don't
Pavel> see a situation where anybody would want to create a file in
Pavel> builddir instead of overwriting it in srcdir (or attempting to
Pavel> do so with a subsequent failure).

I agree.

However, suppose the developer never puts parse.c into the srcdir.
Then the current rules will continue to generate it in the build
directory.  Only after unpacking the distribution will it appear in
srcdir.

So it isn't a question of overwriting the file.

The current code ought to overwrite the file if it already appears in
srcdir, and it ought to put it in builddir if it doesn't appear in
srcdir.

Apparently in the latter case we fail to remove it from builddir
during distclean.

There's a good argument that we should simply disallow this though.
First, it is complicated and confusing.  Second, it is hard to make it
work properly when building in srcdir.

Tom