Re: cross-install-strip summary

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: cross-install-strip summary
Date: 05 Mar 2001 09:40:15 +0100

>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 adl> - $_am_dirpart can fooled when $install_sh is defined
 adl> using $am_missing_run

 Tom> When does this happen?

When install-sh is not found, see the bottom of
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-02/msg00335.html

 adl> - $STRIP has to be set *before* AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is called
 adl> (either by the user or in a configure check); I'm not
 adl> really happy with that

 Tom> Me neither.  What if we make install-strip unconditionally use
 Tom> install-sh?  Do we really care about the small performance impact on a
 Tom> rarely-used target?

I don't.  Maybe Alexandre does? (IIRC he was the first to
suggest some ways to use install-sh only when needed.)

 adl> * install-strip when *not* cross-compiling:
 adl> - $INSTALL_STRIP_PROGRAM uses sub make evaluation, does it
 adl> really matters?

 Tom> It doesn't matter.

BTW, using install-sh unconditionally will get rid of this.

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz