Re: 01-factor-all.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 01-factor-all.patch
Date: 05 Mar 2001 12:57:08 -0700

>> Also, `all' isn't the only time that Makefiles can be rebuilt.

Akim> I very much agree, and was puzzled by this.  I guessed we meant
Akim> to provide some support for the most common case.

Could be.  Maybe the ChangeLog provides a clue.  I didn't do the
archaeology.

>> Ok, I see we currently have `all-am: Makefile'.
>> But that doesn't seem like it can be right.
>> And with GNU Make it is unnecessary.

Akim> Do you mean to get rid of it?

Yeah.

Akim> Jim has this in the fileutils/src/Makefile.am:
Akim> Makefile: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
Akim> Jim, why do you?  Tom, why do you say it's wrong?

It is wrong because it will force the built sources to be regenerated
even when running `make distclean'.  People really don't like this.

I imagine Jim has it there because until relatively recently there was
no other way to force generated sources to be built before the rest of
compilation started, at least not without introducing your own
dependencies (`$(OBJECTS): built-header.h'), which was a pain to
maintain.

Tom