Re: CVS Automake breaks with perl5.6.0

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: CVS Automake breaks with perl5.6.0
Date: 05 Mar 2001 14:58:47 -0800

Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

> Only one test is failing now - installsh.test. Perl reports the same
> mesages many times, so I ran the output through sort and uniq.

> $ make check TESTS=installsh.test VERBOSE=1 2>&1 | sort | uniq
> 1 of 1 tests failed
> === Running test ./installsh.test
> ===================
> FAIL: installsh.test
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at ../../../automake line
> 3426.

FYI, this error message generally means that you're interpolating an
undefined variable into a string, such as, for example:

    my $var;
    $string = "This is $var";

Perl 5.6.1-to-be produces a slightly better error message:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at - line 2.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>