preferred directory layout

From: Kevin Walsh
Subject: preferred directory layout
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:25:04 -0800

I am fairly new to automake/autoconf/etc. so perhaps this question is newbie:
I have searched many docs to no avail...

What is the preferred source directory layout for projects using
automake+autoconf+libtool
when maintaining multiple platform-specific implementations of the same
interfaces?

Specifically, my problem is thus:

I have a single library which can compile under posix, win32, and, say,
cygwin-posix.
 Certain parts of the library are fairly x-platform, letting me just write
unified
cpp/h files with judicious use of #ifdefs.

However, other parts of the library are quite divergent, and attempting to
maintain
a single unified file would just mean having one huge and unwieldy #ifdef,
splitting
the file in two or three parts.

The current layout is something like this:
/common
  bar.cpp
  bar.h
  foo.h
/posix
  foo.cpp
/win32
  foo.cpp
/cygwin
  foo.cpp

Under msvc you can just make a single project and take all of the sources from
/common and /win32.  Using plain Makefiles you can do something like
mylib.la : bar.cpp $(archsrc)/foo.cpp

Automake does not seem capable of handling these bizarre layouts.  How is this
done in practice?  I often see a "bits" or "i486-gnu-..." which are
per-platform.
 Is this what I want?  Or do you need to use libtool convenience libraries (I'd
like to avoid that -- I don't think it would be portable to win32)?

Thanks
-Kevin