Re: How do I build debug versions?

From: Dean Hoover
Subject: Re: How do I build debug versions?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 05:24:24 -0500

Shameek Basu wrote:

[snip HTML stuff]

I am also a newbie at this. I've "solved" a small portion of your
problem, with some help from others on this list. Here's what I'd
do.

in your top level Makefile.am file, add a target:

debug:
    $(MAKE) all "CXXFLAGS=-g -DDEBUG"

now, if you want to have everything in the directory re-made
to debug, do "make clean debug". You must be careful after
that to always type "make debug", or the system will compile
in the normal optimized way. This is a problem because it
does *not* separate automatically as you would like.

I have hand built many Makefiles in the past for doing what
you are saying and it seems like a reasonable request. But
I am only a user of this system and do not know what it would
take to accomodate your request.

Another thing you could do is make multiple build directories
and always make in a certain way in them. In other words, you
could:

  mkdir debug-build opt-build
  cd debug-build; $top_srcdir/configure; make debug; cd ..
  cd opt-build; $top_srcdir/configure; make; cd ..

I hope this helps (somewhat).

Regards.

Dean Hoover