Re: 13-single-var-storage.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 13-single-var-storage.patch
Date: 08 Mar 2001 23:29:41 -0700

Akim> Patch is several chunks because it took me several steps to
Akim> reach the right one.

That makes it a lot harder to read.  Please don't do that.

Akim> -                => $am_var_defs{'_am_installdirs'} || ''));
Akim> +                => $contents{'_am_installdirs'} || ''));

In general code outside the variable manipulation "module" should not
directly use %contents.  I know some code does (the SOURCES/OBJECTS
stuff), but that code is really, really old and could probably be
removed.

This code used to use $am_var_defs, but that was wrong too.

Incidentally do we give an error if the user tries to define
_am_installdirs?  It seems like we should.  It also seems to me that
one problem with the whole _am_installdirs idea is that we end up
introducing a useless variable.  Ideally we'd leave useless variables
out of Makefile.in.

Tom