Re: 14-variable-define.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 14-variable-define.patch
Date: 09 Mar 2001 17:30:38 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Akim>         * automake.in (&variable_define): Extract from...
> Akim>         (&read_am_file): here.
>
> I don't like this.  With this patch we have subroutines named
> define_variable and variable_define.

I understand.

> How about a longer, more descriptive name, like
> `define_variable_from_am_file'?  Or you could make a suggestion.

I chose variable_define after having thought a lot about it :)  The
thing is that in the long term I don't think we need all these
functions (define_variable etc.), and there should be one only (plus a
few wrappers when pleasant).  That's why I meant to have a canonical
name, and given that I'm a attribute_get (and not get_attribute) kind
of guy, variable_define was perfect.  But for define_variable...

Given that it aims at far more generality than just
define_variable_from_am_file, I don't like this name.  I mean it to be
at the root of all the other subs, so I'm looking for a generic name.

Hence, if we want to avoid confusion, I'd good for the names that
should have been used from the beginning: macro.  macro_define
preferably, but I wouldn't resist long to define_macro :)

> Akim> +# &variable_define($VAR, $VAR_IS_AM, $TYPE, @COND_STRING, $VALUE,
> $WHERE)
>
> This should say $COND_STRING.

Thanks!