Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin updates

From: edward
Subject: Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin updates
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:22:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akim Demaille" <address@hidden>
To: "edward" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 8:26 AM

<snip>

> Huh?  It is still wrong.  This has no reason to depend upon the
> machine on which you run automake.
>
> Rather the proper fix seems to have the failing tests include
> AC_EXEEXT and AC_OBJEXT in their configure.in.

Akim, I mean in the general case, even outside of the test cases. On windows
platforms, executables get a .exe extension. The problem is, how do you
create a proper "make clean", etc. rule? Since there is *already* a hack in
automake.in to support EXEEXT until autoconf support for that is released, I
suggest putting *another* temporary hack that at least initializes EXEEXT
properly on windows platforms. Sure, it's a hack, but hopefully a temporary
one. In general, I agree. There shouldn't be machine dependent code in
automake itself, where ever possible. On the other hand, having EXEEXT=\n
already pretty much makes it machine dependent.

cheers,
edward