Re: pr19.test

From: edward
Subject: Re: pr19.test
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:50:26 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akim Demaille" <address@hidden>
To: "edward" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 5:39 AM

<snip>

> Thanks for the details.  As I'm currently working on DIST_COMMON
> etc. (I have another bunch of patches waiting at home), I'm not
> inclined to fix this now (collisions...).
>
> But still, I fail to understand the relationship between your
> explanation and the failure you observe.  In what way is this related
> to Cygwin?  _That_ is the real question.  The scenario you depict
> seems to imply that Automake should have pr19 fail everywhere, which
> is not the case.  So why do _you_ observe a failure?

hi Akim,

On systems with make programs which delete intermediate targets
(including cygwin), I expect pr19 to fail with foo.c not found. I
haven't verified this since I don't have access to non-gnu make, but it
seems consistent with what others have reported here.

On cygwin itself, there is an additional problem due to the "make
clean"
test failing. foo.exe isn't removed properly. That can be fixed by
putting AC_EXEEXT into configure.in

cheers,
edward

ps. looking again at the Makefile.am of pr19.test, foo is listed as
noinst. i suppose lang_*_rewrite should at least check for noinst/check
targets before pushing into dist common, similar to what happens in
am_install_var. that's a separate issue though =)