Re: automake mistaken source type

From: D. Stimits
Subject: Re: automake mistaken source type
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:20:11 -0700

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> I use version 1.4. I searched for something beyond 1.4, but
> >> apparently it isn't available yet as a regular release. Is there an
> >> rpm for something more current? My machines run RH 6.2 and RH 7.1
> >> beta (7.1 beta still uses 1.4).
>
> Ok.  This is a known bug in 1.4, fixed in the prereleases.  It will
> also be fixed in 1.5.
>
> Meanwhile you can just drop AC_PROG_CC into configure.in and automake
> will shut up.  If you want you can do this in a hacky way to fool
> automake:
>
>     if false; then
>       AC_PROG_CC
>     fi
>
> There might be RPMs of 1.4d (the current prerelease).  I don't know, I
> don't keep track.  There might not be since I got annoyed last time an
> RPM was made of the cvs repository.  Making an RPM of 1.4d would be
> different, though -- at least it corresponds to a known point in time.
>
> Tom

I didn't realize that the "d" was a prerelease. I will give that one a
try. I'm just glad to know I wasn't going bonkers. FYI, I did try the
AC_PROG_CC as well, but it then wanted to know about rules for files of
naming format "file.c", whereas mine were all "file.cxx", so this also
broke something.

thanks,
D. Stimits, address@hidden

PS: Do people on this list typically prefer replies to both their
address and to the list address? If I just do a reply, it sends to the
individual; what I have been doing is "reply all", then dumping
individual addresses and leaving only the mail list address. Not sure
what people prefer here.