Re: depcomp changes for IRIX

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: depcomp changes for IRIX
Date: 15 Mar 2001 18:02:32 -0600

Hi,

David Kaelbling <address@hidden> writes:
> I recently built libglade/0.16 for IRIX 6.2, and noticed a small flaw in
> depcomp.  To use the native MipsPRO compilers I made the changes below.
> The first one is important -- passing the flag to the proper compiler
> phase.
[...]
>  sgi)
>    if test "$libtool" = yes; then
> -    "$@" "-Wc,-MDupdate,$tmpdepfile"
> +    "$@" "-Wp,-MDupdate,$tmpdepfile"

This already appears to have been fixed in the CVS version of 'depcomp'.

> The second is optional; to shorten some very long dependency lines I
> pruned out all the system headers (all headers with absolute paths).
[...]
>    echo "$object : \\" > "$depfile"
> -  sed 's/^[^:]*: / /' < "$tmpdepfile" >> "$depfile"
> +  sed -e 's/^[^:]*: / /' -e 's# /[^ ]*##g' < "$tmpdepfile" >> "$depfile"

This may not be a good idea.  This heuristic would work only if the
Makefile.am used relative paths for same tree include directories, and
either

  * you're building in the source tree
  * you're building in a separate tree, but provided a relative path
    to the source tree

Also, in general, you also need to trust the compiler not to convert
relative include paths to absolute while generating dependencies.
Since, in this case, the compiler is "known", this isn't an issue.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden