Re: `missing' needs patch for Ultrix4.4

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: `missing' needs patch for Ultrix4.4
Date: 19 Mar 2001 14:35:51 +0100

| It looks like it'll work just fine as long as you don't
| put quotes around `bison -y'.
|
|   $ printf '%%%%\na:\n%%%%\n' > j.y
|   $ sh missing --run bison -y j.y
|   $

Yes, that's not what I meant.  My question is that ISTR that Automake
supports `missing'ing yacc, and we must make sure that in this case
`bison -y' is properly passed as two entities.

| | Still, I wonder to what extend what you found means we should change
| | all the place where we invoke `"$@"' as command line.  The only
| | restriction is wrt $1 being `:'?
|
| Hmm... at first I thought it was independent of the actual value,
| but just tested it and see that it may indeed be specific to `:':
|
|   $ p=:
|   $ "$p"
|   ยบ: not found
|   $ p=echo
|   $ "$p"
|
|   $

Aha!  It is the 8th bit problem again.  Then try this:

p=":"
"$p"

maybe it will work.  No guarantee, but as shocking as it may seem, I
wouldn't be surprised that it works.

The difference might be that with `echo' it had to look in PATH, if
it's not a build in.  Then, we can imagine plenty of places where the
8th big is reversed again.  Give a try to `cd' as it must be a
builtin.

In fact, does

":"

alone, work?