Re: 14-variable-define.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 14-variable-define.patch
Date: 20 Mar 2001 18:54:59 -0700

Akim> I chose variable_define after having thought a lot about it :)
Akim> The thing is that in the long term I don't think we need all
Akim> these functions (define_variable etc.), and there should be one
Akim> only (plus a few wrappers when pleasant).  That's why I meant to
Akim> have a canonical name, and given that I'm a attribute_get (and
Akim> not get_attribute) kind of guy, variable_define was perfect.

Yes, but for me the naming is just bad.  We have variable_defined and
define_variable.  Adding variable_define is just asking for bugs and
confusion.

Akim> Hence, if we want to avoid confusion, I'd good for the names
Akim> that should have been used from the beginning: macro.
Akim> macro_define preferably, but I wouldn't resist long to
Akim> define_macro :)

macro_define is fine, thanks.

Tom