Re: 85-lang-new-hash.patch

From: David Lee
Subject: Re: 85-lang-new-hash.patch
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:29:32 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Akim Demaille wrote:

> The patch is really a proposal: it relies on a modified version of
> Perl 5.6's Class::Struct.  The modification are minimal, and just
> ensure that it works with 5.005:
>
> [...]
>
> I still have no idea whether the license makes it possible for us to
> distribute and install this file as, say, AutomakeStruct.  But before
> investigating, I would like to have opinions.  This is a significant
> simplification of Automake, and given that I plan to use even more
> objects in the future, it would drastically simplify a lot of code to
> use it.

Wouldn't it be cleaner to talk with the maintainers of Class::Struct with
a view to making Class::Struct itself able to work on "lesser" versions of
Perl?  (And automake could then use the Real Thing.)

It seems sensible that library/module/utility such as Class::Struct (and,
indeed, automake itself) code should be as generous as reasonably possible
in accepting older/lesser versions of whatever environment (Perl, OS, ...)
is out there.

Irrespective of the major win for automake, it would make Class::Struct
much more widely useable in other projects with older perl.