program target missing $(EXEEXT)

From: Robert Collins
Subject: program target missing $(EXEEXT)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:30:30 +1000

I hope I'm sending these problem reports to the right place...

Environment: cygwin. (Bleeding edge custom build).
I'm using automake CVS (updated around 2 hours ago).

The following makefile.am
==
bin_PROGRAMS = client
==
generates the following target list (abridged) in Makefile.in
==
client: $(client_OBJECTS) $(client_DEPENDENCIES)
        @rm -f client
        $(LINK) $(client_LDFLAGS) $(client_OBJECTS) $(client_LDADD)
$(LIBS)

bin_PROGRAMS = client$(EXEEXT)
PROGRAMS = $(bin_PROGRAMS)
==

I believe that the "client:" should be "client$(EXEEXT):"
If it's not, make fails with "make[1]: *** No rule to make target
`client.exe', needed by `all-am'.  Stop."

Where should I look to hack up a solution for this?

If it's a known problem please accept my apologies in advance for noise.

Rob