Re: automake 1.4d

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: automake 1.4d
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:21:06 -0500

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 12:19:17AM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I just released Automake 1.4d, the latest prerelease leading up to
> 1.5.  Find it here:
>
>     ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/automake/automake-1.4d.tar.gz
>
> This release is mostly bug fixes.  There are some minor known bugs and
> some uncommitted patches required for 1.5 that are pending paperwork.
> Nevertheless, this release should be ok in many situations.  Please
> try it and report any bugs you find.

I just got around to installing this on an IRIX 6.5 system, yesterday.

The main problem that I quickly ran into was that it didn't work
with the version of perl that we had (5.004_04).  I installed perl 5.6,
and it works with that.

The other problem quickly apparent is that tests/pr19.test fails.
This test generates an empty lex file, compiles the resulting .c
file, and generates a tarball with "make dist":

        echo %% > foo.l
        $MAKE || exit 1

Unfortunately, with both flex version 2.4.7, and flex version 2.5.4,
the make bombs out, because the file "foo.c" doesn't have a main()
function.  Should it?  I dunno...

I installed it anyway, and noticed that "automake --add-missing"
installed the "depcomp" link into the first subdir listed in the
toplevel Makefile.am "SUBDIRS" variable.  I think this problem has
been previously reported.  Once I moved depcomp to the top level, the
build went fine.

Thanks,
-Steve