Re: make dist and BUILT_SOURCES

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: make dist and BUILT_SOURCES
Date: 04 Apr 2001 16:53:00 +0200

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Collins <address@hidden> writes:

Robert> Yet another question from the newbie.  I have a number of
Robert> built source (.h and .c) files that are built from other
Robert> sources/configure settings.

Such as?

Robert> "make dist" is failing to find these files. (Some of them
Robert> shouldn't be included in the distribution, and some can be).

Robert> is there some way to exclude specific built sources from the
Robert> disrtribution?

Automake will always ship parsers and scanners, but I don't believe it
ships all the BUILT_SOURCES.

Robert> Some examples: store_modules.c is a stub that initialises each
Robert> of the fs modules. It's created via shell script based on the
Robert> configure parameters. It should never exist in the src dir,
Robert> only in the build dir.  cf_gen_defines.h is generated from the
Robert> configuration file sources, and is used by the parser. It can
Robert> exist in the srcdir or build dir (through historically it was
Robert> built in the build dir).

Robert> So for cf_gen_defines.h and similar fiels I can make them be
Robert> built into the src dir, and then make dist finds them. That
Robert> still leaves me with files that should only be built in the
Robert> build dir and not distributed.

Rob, seeing Makefile.am might help us.