Re: 55-aclocal-m4-in-configure-am.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 55-aclocal-m4-in-configure-am.patch
Date: 09 Apr 2001 09:52:57 -0600

Tom> My reading is that this patch always generates an aclocal.m4
Tom> target, regardless of whether one is warranted.

Akim> Hm, no.  I think you missed the first lines of the patch, or I
Akim> might have misunderstood what you mean:

I saw that code.

To me it looks like handle_aclocal_m4 is called whenever
relative_dir==`.'.

In the case you refer to this only results in @aclocal_m4_deps being
set to ().

But then later ACLOCAL_M4_DEPS is unconditionally set in a call to
file_contents.

And in configure.am the aclocal.m4 rule is conditional only on
TOPDIR_P.

This is what I think is wrong.  The user is not actually required to
have aclocal.m4 be a generated file.

What happens if you run automake with this patch on autoconf (where I
understand that aclocal.m4 is not a generated file?).  Do you get an
`aclocal.m4' target in Makefile.in?

Tom