problem with conditionals and \ separator in SOURCES

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: problem with conditionals and \ separator in SOURCES
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:34:53 +0200

Hi

        In configure.in I have these lines

AC_PATH_PROGS(GENGETOPT, gengetopt)
AM_CONDITIONAL(NO_GENGETOPT, test -z "$ac_cv_path_GENGETOPT" )

and in src/Makefile I have

SUFFIXES = .ggo

if NO_GENGETOPT
.ggo.c:
        touch $@
else
.ggo.c:
        $(GENGETOPT) --input $< --unamed-opts
endif

under Linux there are no problems, while with cygwin, and automake

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.4

which looks the same under Linux, the conditional is not substituted,
i.e. in src/Makefile I have

if NO_GENGETOPT
.ggo.c:
        touch $@
else
.ggo.c:
        $(GENGETOPT) --input $< --unamed-opts
endif

                 cmdline.c \
                 main.cc errors.cc stringtable.cc tables.cc nodevis.cc \

and the problem seems to be that \ in myprog_SOURCES is not recognized!

Am I doing something wrong?
Notice that this problem only takes place with cygwin

thanks in advance
        Lorenzo
|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|           http://infostud.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini     |
|  Mail             : address@hidden            |
|  http://www.mokabyte.it       Java on line journal  |