Re: 78-lang-autodep.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 78-lang-autodep.patch
Date: 10 Apr 2001 15:17:20 -0600

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> Actually I'm realizing it does make a significant difference!
Akim> With my patch you get:

Akim> add_depend2 (cxx)
Akim> add_depend2 (c)
Akim> add_depend2 (objc)

Akim> where I would have expected to see lex, yacc etc.

I don't think it makes sense to call add_depend2(yacc) or
add_depend2(lex).  That's because these languages don't know how to do
dependency tracking.  Or, more precisely, or yacc and lex we can do
the dependency tracking statically because neither yacc nor lex has an
include facility.

These are marked "derived autodep" which means that the yacc output is
subject to automatic dependency tracking.  E.g., seeing foo.yy should
result in a call to add_depend2(cc), even if no other .cc file is in
the project.

Akim>   * automake.in (&handle_single_transform_list, &finish_languages)
Akim>   (&handle_dist, &handle_dependencies): Use the language object for
Akim>   autodep and derived-autodep too.

I think this is ok.

Ultimately we'd like to excise these special cases and have the yacc
language object itself know how to make calls into the C (or C++, or
...) language object for further processing.

Tom