Re: problem: uninstall-am in makefile with no install targets and non-GN

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: problem: uninstall-am in makefile with no install targets and non-GNU make.
Date: 11 Apr 2001 13:34:57 +0200

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Collins <address@hidden> writes:

Robert> Thanks Akim, adding that line should fix the make uninstall
Robert> problem.  However the makefile.in's created by automake are
Robert> now corrupt: I get 1001 errors (I CVS updated first).

Robert> The errors I get are (single samples of each) 1) AMDEP does
Robert> not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

Run aclocal first.

Robert> 2) snmplib/Makefile.am:14: DEFS multiply defined in condition
Robert> TRUE DEFS (User, where = 14) = {

Robert>     TRUE => -DSQUID_SNMP=1 }

Hm...  I'll look into this one.  The idea is that somehow we must be
able to tell Automake `look, this is an Automake variable, but the
user is allowed to override it'.  Currently it's probably too strict.

Synthesizing the permissions is quite difficult :(

Robert> 3) src/Makefile.am: cf_gen_DEPENDENCIES must be set with `='
Robert> before using `+='

We recently talked about this with Tom, and we agreed that there is no
reason not to do that (but to protect the user from herself, but it's
not our job).  So consider this is solved.  I don't have time now, but
I'll submit a patch soon.

For the time being, I suspect you should just not use the HEAD Automake.