Re: target dependency bug

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: target dependency bug
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:40:43 +0200

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 12:16:01AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
: given the following
:
: cf_gen_SOURCES = cf_gen.c defines.h
: nodist_cf_gen_SOURCES = cf_gen_defines.h
: BUILT_SOURCES = cf_gen_defines.h
:
: I think cf_gen_defines.h should be one of the dependencies of
: cf_gen.$(OBJEXT). It's not though in my generated Makefile here.

Automake can not really know dependencies.  Only preprocessors/compilers can.

: Suggestions?

Set up your own static dependency in Makefile.am, or better; use Automake
from CVS and run configure with --enable-dependency-tracking, which
hopefully is supported for the compiler you use.

  Lars J
--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'