Re: target dependency bug

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: target dependency bug
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:56:49 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars J. Aas" <address@hidden>
To: "Robert Collins" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 2:40 AM

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 12:16:01AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> : given the following
> :
> : cf_gen_SOURCES = cf_gen.c defines.h
> : nodist_cf_gen_SOURCES = cf_gen_defines.h
> : BUILT_SOURCES = cf_gen_defines.h
> :
> : I think cf_gen_defines.h should be one of the dependencies of
> : cf_gen.$(OBJEXT). It's not though in my generated Makefile here.
>
> Automake can not really know dependencies.  Only
preprocessors/compilers can.

I understand. But aren't listed sources explicit dependencies?

> : Suggestions?
>
> Set up your own static dependency in Makefile.am, or better; use
Automake
> from CVS and run configure with --enable-dependency-tracking, which
> hopefully is supported for the compiler you use.

I was trying to make a static dependencies automake style. IIRC += on
foo_DEPENDENCIES isn't support just yet (I have a test case to report
back to Akim on). So I was just trying to understand the logic from an
automake point of view.

I'm happy with --enable-dependency-tracking... but will all the end
users? I'm automaking squid, which while not the most popular package
around, is pretty heavily used in ISP circles.

Rob

>   Lars J
> --
> Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent
perspiration,
> and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker
Proxy'