Re: problem: unitialized +=

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: problem: unitialized +=
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:39:26 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akim Demaille" <address@hidden>
To: "Alexandre Oliva" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Robert Collins" <address@hidden>;
<address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 5:53 PM

> Alexandre> On Apr 17, 2001, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> * automake.in (&macro_define): User variables can be first defined
> >> with `+='.
>
> Alexandre> My impression is that, in this case, the macro should add
> Alexandre> to whatever automake would have set by default, instead of
> Alexandre> completely overriding the setting.
>
> Yep, I understand this very well.
>
> Unfortunately it is quite unrealistic wrt the implementation: Automake
> values are read _after_ Makefile.am was.  Supporting this would be
> hard, and I am not sure it would bring really bonus.

Is there are reason that the automate values cannot all be +=, with a
flag to ignore the value completely if the user uses = not += ?

Without handling this in the intuitive fashion, I suspect += will vary
rarely get used. The only times I've needed to use it are to add to
automake generated rules.

The alternative (from a user perspective :] ) is to run automake, copy
the generated rule back into the automake file, and then update it.
Quite a bit of a kludge.

Rob