Re: @_am_quote@ not replaced by 'configure'

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: @_am_quote@ not replaced by 'configure'
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:38:25 -0500

Robert Boehne wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Current CVS sources of Automake leave @_am_quote@
> un-substituted in Makefile's causing make to fail
> if dependencies are requested.
>   This is a recent problem, it's existed in CVS for
> only a few days (don't know exactly though).  I did have
> a version of Automake working with dependencies properly
> after Automake conditionals were used, so this was broken
> after that.

It seems that I somehow had mixed versions of m4 macro
files as this problem, and another one I posted about
$host not getting set, have disappeared.

>   On a related note, I wonder if it would be reasonable
> to add a test case to Automake similar to the style that
> Libtool uses.  A test that actually compiles code and
> attempted to use dependencies, invoke libtool, etc. would
> help find these problems before they get checked in.
> The test could simply be skipped if there is no C/C++/F77/?
> compiler found.  I would be more than happy to contribute
> the test as well.  Any thoughts?

I'd still like to build a realistic test case for Automake,
but before I go to the trouble to do that I'd like to hear
some comments.  The way I look at this is that a real-world
test case will help catch more bugs before they make it into
the cvs repository, but I also understand that keeping
the testsuite short and simple is a concern too.
So where do the maintainers draw this line?

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center