Re: Automake: use of modified Perl modules & GPL

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Automake: use of modified Perl modules & GPL
Date: 21 Apr 2001 22:43:57 -0700

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Akim> Now the question is how will be install it?  Do we try to get
> Akim> into Perl's packaging system, or just have some pkglibdir and
> Akim> install it in there?  The same question will arise when we move
> Akim> Language, Macro, Rule etc. out of automake.in.

> What do we gain from trying to make it a real Perl module?
> For now I'm inclined to simply install all our code our own way.

I'd recommend that approach for the time being.

The ideal, of course, would to get the necessary changes (if any) to
support Automake rolled back into the original module so that then the
Automake version of the module would only be installed if the Automake
configure script detected at the time of installation of Automake that the
module was missing or too old.

(I've lost track of what changes needed to be made for Automake to use it;
I think they were mostly compatibility changes for older versions of Perl?
If that's the case, it may be possible already to only install the
Automake version if the system Perl doesn't already have the module.)

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>