unnecessary suffix handling?

From: Dave Morrison
Subject: unnecessary suffix handling?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:07:58 +0000

Hi,

I have a project in which there are some header files (they happen to
have the suffix `.idl') that I want installed.  Nothing else in the
project depends directly on them, I'd just like to install them.  With
automake 1.4, this was no problem at all.  A simple line like this:

include_HEADERS = foo.idl

was all it took.  With every version of automake I've pulled from CVS in
at least the last few months, that same line results in the following:

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/bin/automake line
5239.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/bin/automake line
5239.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/bin/automake line
5239.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/bin/automake line
5239.
Use of uninitialized value in split at /usr/local/bin/automake line
3005.

It's easy to see where this comes from.  Right there, around line 5239,
in automake, is this:

    foreach my $key (sort keys %extension_seen)
    {
        push (@r, '.' . $key) if $extension_map{$key} eq $lang;
    }

The assoc array %extension_map doesn't contain "idl" and therefore you
get the messages.  I have a couple of questions.  Is this the intended
behavior of the new version of automake?  Even though I don't want the
automake-produced Makefile to do anything except install the files, do I
really need to teach automake about the suffix of these files?

It's easy enough to protect that line with something like

if (defined $extension_map{$key}) {
}

but I don't know if that would break something else somewhere else.

Dave

--
David Morrison  Brookhaven National Laboratory  phone: 631-344-5840
                Physics Department, Bldg 510 C    fax: 631-344-3253