Re: Automake::Struct II

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Automake::Struct II
Date: 27 Apr 2001 12:37:07 +0200

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

Russ> Yeah, you pretty much need an Automake directory like that.
Russ> You'll find it a lot easier when you add additional modules
Russ> later, too.  (You may want to consider putting it down a level,
Russ> like modules/Automake instead of just Automake at the top level,
Russ> but that's just my sense of aesthetics.)

I'm waiting for Tom's wishes for this.

Russ> Hm.  One thing you could do is add Automake's Perl module
Russ> directory to the *end* of @INC instead of the beginning; i.e.,
Russ> use:

Russ>     BEGIN { push (@INC, '@datadir@/@PACKAGE@/lib'); }

Hm, maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I would like some random Automake::
modules to be found somewhere in the path.  But I agree that is
easier.

Russ> (you want to use single quotes and not double quotes, just in
Russ> case someone configures with a weird @datadir@).

Unfortunately, currently we AC_SUBST in automake.in (contrary to what
recommends the GCS, which would require some make time substitution).
So I need $prefix to be replaced in @address@hidden

But that's something we can easily fix in the future if we wish.

Russ> Since it's pretty unlikely that there's going to be another
Russ> Automake::Class floating around, that should be equivalent,
Russ> except that it has the nice plus of then letting you just use
Russ> $PERL -I$srcdir/.. in the test suite to run automake and force
Russ> it to use the version from the build tree rather than the
Russ> installed version.

If Tom prefers this solution, I will fix it.

Tom, I'm going to apply what I presented because we have been stuck a
long time by this issue, and this will give us an opportunity to flush
some more patches.  But of course, it will be very easy to move Struct
around in both the package, and the installation dirs.