Re: libtool 1.4: "make uninstall" broken?

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4: "make uninstall" broken?
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 17:58:29 +0200 (CEST)

Lars J. Aas writes:

> I installed libtool 1.4 in the wrong place and then tried "make uninstall"
> before doing a reconfigure.  It complained about not finding "install-info"
> or something - I didn't care to investigate further.

I pointed this out a long time ago.  "make uninstall" has the potential to
be broken in all Automake using packages -- at least those using texinfo.
(Try out Autoconf and Automake itself.)

The reason is that install-info is often installed under /sbin, so it's
not in the ordinary user's path.  The "install" targets work around this
by not calling "install-info" in that case, but "uninstall" does not.
Tom Tromey said to me something along the lines that uninstall is of too
little use to bother.

A correct fix, in my mind, would be to add Autoconf checks for
install-info, possibly combined with "missing" support.  At the same time,
vendors should be flamed not to install install-info into sbin.  Ordinary
users can make perfectly good use of it.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter