Re: @_am_quote@ not replaced by 'configure'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: @_am_quote@ not replaced by 'configure'
Date: 05 May 2001 14:45:07 -0600

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Boehne <address@hidden> writes:

Robert> On a related note, I wonder if it would be reasonable to add a
Robert> test case to Automake similar to the style that Libtool uses.
Robert> A test that actually compiles code and attempted to use
Robert> dependencies, invoke libtool, etc. would help find these
Robert> problems before they get checked in.  The test could simply be
Robert> skipped if there is no C/C++/F77/?  compiler found.  I would
Robert> be more than happy to contribute the test as well.  Any
Robert> thoughts?

Sounds good to me.  We already have some tests along these lines,
though maybe none explicitly test dependency tracking.

Robert> The way I look at this is that a real-world test case will
Robert> help catch more bugs before they make it into the cvs
Robert> repository, but I also understand that keeping the testsuite
Robert> short and simple is a concern too.  So where do the
Robert> maintainers draw this line?

The test suite really exists to try to help us release a non-buggy
automake.  While it sucks if it takes a long time to run, my first
concern is for its usefulness.  So in general I never draw this line:
I just add a test whenever it would help.

Tom