Re: *_TEXINFOS

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: *_TEXINFOS
Date: 17 May 2001 18:16:12 -0300

On May 17, 2001, Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sometimes I wonder if this is really the right thing to do.

Perhaps it should be an option?

I often use read-only srcdir myself, so I'd like to have this
possibility.  Anyway, since we do update files that are part of the
distribution (think configure and Makefile.in), modifying info files
doesn't really add much.

OTOH, since `make dist' will now pick files from the builddir instead
of srcdir, if they exist in the builddir (unless my memory is failing
badly :-), creating files in the build tree wouldn't make much of a
difference for maintainers anyway.  Unless they wrote Makefile rules
that depended on the fact that files were in the build tree, in which
case they'd be in trouble.  `make distcheck' would hopefully tell them
so.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}