Re: Deleting Makefile.in in maintainer-clean

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Deleting Makefile.in in maintainer-clean
Date: 17 May 2001 18:09:02 -0600

>>>>> "Gary" == Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

Gary> I have always tried to have maintainer-clean revert the source
Gary> tree to the state it was in when freshly checked out of CVS.

This is easy enough to do; there is a tool in the `cvsutils' (Pavel's,
not Alexandre's) which will remove anything not in cvs.  This tool
works offline.

Gary> What is the right thing to do here?  Should we write a custom
Gary> cvs-clean for each project?  Maybe stub the rules to take care
Gary> of the recursion, but (beyond the maintainer-clean files) remove
Gary> only the files listed in CVSCLEAN variable?

I'd prefer not, since we don't even know that people will be using
cvs.  It isn't a very good name.

Automake's first priority is to follow the GNU Standards.  We could
add a new, universal clean target if we found it worthwhile.  My guess
is that it is not.  I doubt I've ever used maintainer-clean except
when testing it.

Tom