Re: aclocal doesn't check AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS (VERSION)

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: aclocal doesn't check AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS (VERSION)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:05:12 -0400

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Tom> We're planning to get rid of aclocal in the future.  I forget
> Tom> exactly what form that plan takes.  Akim knows.
>
> First of all, the responsibility will move to Autoconf, aclocal has
> nothing to do with Automake.
>
> The main plan is to get rid of aclocal.m4 too, and to include, at the
> M4 level, all the m4/*.m4 files which are needed.  This is doable, we
> actually have a proto since months.
>
> Wrt this actual problem, I'm afraid there will always have some
> problems due to incorrectly synchronized sets of tools :(
>
> In the future Automake will read the traces.  We perfectly can imagine
> a macro to declare an Automake requirement, and automake checking this
> requirement.
>
> Conversely, hm...  I dunno.

How about something as simple as allowing a version to be specified in an
*.m4 file.  Then if the macro version is less than the version of the
copy in the m4 dir then autoconf won't copy the new (old) version over
m4/* unless forced?

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )