automake 1.4g: About `make install-strip'

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Subject: automake 1.4g: About `make install-strip'
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:27:36 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

 I see install is not used for `make install-strip' anymore.  I'm not sure
if that's a good solution.  Install-sh is a script and is thus much
slower.  The gain is you may set the STRIPPROG environment variable.  But
the gain is questionable.

 I'm doing cross-compiles regularly and I've never had a problem with
`make install-strip' using install from fileutils.  The point is
cross-tools, strip included, get installed in
${prefix}/${target_alias}/bin, aka tooldir.  It's desireable to have the
tooldir early in the PATH environment variable during builds as not all
programs make use of autoconf and it's not always easy to override names
of all cross-tools used during builds.  When PATH is set appropriately,
install works perfectly.  This is the case with my setup.

 Wouldn't it be feasible to build a sample program and check if it can be
installed with stripping by install at the configuration stage?  I might
cook a patch if so.

 Please cc any replies to me -- I'm not subscribed.

  Maciej

+        e-mail: address@hidden, PGP key available        +