Re: Auto-tools & Win32 & Borland C++ Builder

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Auto-tools & Win32 & Borland C++ Builder
Date: 23 May 2001 15:55:14 -0600

>>>>> "Rasmus" == Rasmus Tamstorf <address@hidden> writes:

Rasmus> I think the issue is that with autoconf you setup your
Rasmus> compiler flags (debug / optimized etc) for the entire build
Rasmus> tree when you run ./configure. However, while developing you
Rasmus> may want 90% to be optimized and only the remaining 10% (a
Rasmus> single or a few subpackages) which you are actively debugging
Rasmus> to be build with debuginformation. At least that's an issue I
Rasmus> have ;)

Oh.  I never even considered that as a problem.  I daily do things
like this:

    cd gcc
    make mostlyclean
    make CFLAGS=-g

Then gcc is built with debugging but the rest of my tree remains
untouched.  It is easy, even trivial, to write your package's
configury so that this works.

Tom