[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Auto-tools & Win32 & Borland C++ Builder

From: Rasmus Tamstorf
Subject: Re: Auto-tools & Win32 & Borland C++ Builder
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:59:59 -0700

On 23 May 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> >>>>> "Rasmus" == Rasmus Tamstorf <address@hidden> writes:
> Rasmus> I think the issue is that with autoconf you setup your
> Rasmus> compiler flags (debug / optimized etc) for the entire build
> Rasmus> tree when you run ./configure. However, while developing you
> Rasmus> may want 90% to be optimized and only the remaining 10% (a
> Rasmus> single or a few subpackages) which you are actively debugging
> Rasmus> to be build with debuginformation. At least that's an issue I
> Rasmus> have ;)
> Oh.  I never even considered that as a problem.  I daily do things
> like this:
>     cd gcc
>     make mostlyclean
>     make CFLAGS=-g
> Then gcc is built with debugging but the rest of my tree remains
> untouched.  It is easy, even trivial, to write your package's
> configury so that this works.

Well, you must have a fast machine :-) Doing a clean build every day is
unfortunately not an option for me, and besides I think one of points of
the original poster was that in terms of debugging it may also be
advantageous only to instrument parts of the code. Your project may have
time critical components which you'd like to leave optimized while
debugging other parts, and/or your debugger may choke if it gets
overloaded with debug code (gdb in particular seems to have some problems
with huge codebases, but that's a different discussion). 


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]